Friday 20 April 2012

A Birthday and other things

 
It feels like it's been busy this past week

 
Bella's 17th Birthday last weekend 


( 17 presents here!)


early(ish for a teenager!) morning tea and biscuits in bed along with the present unwrapping

 
balloons

 
a birthday cake - cake decorating is not my strong point so I kept it simple!

 
celebratory drinks, a family birthday tea, a meal out with friends......

 
and the highlight for Bella......

her first driving lesson!!!!!!!


 
I know you saw lots of photos of my "sanctuary" in my last post, but bear with me here as I must just share a recent eBay purchase with you vintage lovers out there - a vintage pale pink checked chenille bed cover!

 

I am so happy with this pretty addition to my room!

 

And speaking of pretty, a new book full of prettiness.....

 
Rachel Ashwell's "Shabby Chic Inspirations" - if you love shabby chic style then you will love this book.

 
It is full of gorgeous shabby vintage interiors, including photos of her own homes and those of others, "home" being the common thread that unites these interesting, unique and varied shabby chic interiors and the people who live in them. Amongst the interiors photographed are Rachel's idyllic "Prairie" property in the US, her laid back beach house, both of which are full of faded beauty; Sharon and Ozzie Osbourne's house; a quirky houseboat and other fascinating homes full of vintage and pre-loved objects.

 
If you love old and faded textiles, chipped and painted furniture, and real homes that reflect the inhabitants tastes and personalities, then you will love this book.

You can visit Rachel Ashwell on Facebook and she also has a blog.



I have only found time to sew one cushion this week, using a gorgeous vintage blue roses fabric backed in pure white linen.

 

To use every scrap of fabric I made the cushion with a flange, and added vintage turquoise buttons to the back

 
Hoping to make more next week.


Wishing you all a Happy Weekend!












Posted by Picasa

25 comments:

  1. Hello Gill:
    Happy Birthday wishes to Bella!


    Oh, the thrill of a first driving lesson, but how well we remember not knowing which foot went where and, as for co-ordinating feet and gear stick....well!!!

    You obviously went to a great deal of trouble to make her birthday a real treat. We are sure that she will have had a lovely time. No point, we feel , in spending too long on the cake decoration since it surely will have been demolished in the wink of an eye!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post - happy belated 17th to your daughter x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Bella. Lucky girl with the presents, tea and biccies, cake and then the thrill of the driving lesson. Special times. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Gill, beautiful photos. The shabby chic book looks interesting, may have to source one myself. Happy Birthday to Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Bella!!! :)

    I love your new cushion Gill, the blue and white are so fresh and pretty. :)

    Have a great wekeend,
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to Bella. What a lovely day she had starting with the early morning tea. That book looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bella looks like she had a fantastic special day! Your new bedspread is gorgeous- there is just something so cozy about vintage chenille. Your buttons add a nice touch to the pretty pillow. Never in my life did I imagine Ozzie Osbourne would be featured in a shabby chic book- how funny! Have a great weekend~
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated birthday wishes to Bella.
    Love your new bedcover, very pretty.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your daughter!! Good luck with those driving lessons! :-)
    Your chenille blanket is wonderful! My grandma always had those on the beds in her house, so they make me think of her.
    All your flowers are beautiful! I need to get outside and work on mine more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your daughters birthday. What a pretty name she has! I have a daughter called Annebelle as well.

    Your new bedspread is just beautiful!

    Happy weekend Gill.

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Bella! I hope you had a lovely day! From the looks of it you did!

    Gill, what a fantastic mom, 17 gifts and a homemade birthday cake!

    Oh, I love the blue rose pillow . . . by the way, how's my friend Logan? I haven't seen him lately! Have a lovely weekend!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday for you daughter her cake looked lovely love the little flowers. Hope the driving lessons go well for her. Love your new cushion really pretty and fresh. Have a lovely weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to your daughter, 17 and a first driving lesson, very exciting times.
    Your cushions looks beautiful.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Gill! Another great post once again. The white pillow with the turquoise buttons is just darling. You are creative and resourceful as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Gill, what a pretty post for your lovely Bella, I am sure she had a wonderful birthday. Belated Birthday wishes to her, and good luck with the driving lessons.

    Your rose pillow is beautiful, I love the little buttons down the back. Many thanks for calling in and leaving such lovely comments. Wendy does make lovely things, as indeed, do you!
    Enjoy your weekend, love Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday to Bella. I'm sure she had a wonderful day, especially with the driving lesson. Stressful times again soon with exams.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated 17th Birthday to Bella :o)

    Love your new chenille bedspead -beautiful!

    And your new cushion looks gorgeous -I've definitely fallen for those precious turquoise buttons!

    have a happy weekend Gill, and take care.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday to Bella!!! It looks as if she had a wonderful day - 17 presents beautifully wrapped and a driving lesson - perfect.

    I adore your new bed cover so much! Your room is looking AMAZING! I had a turqoise one on my bed as a child and I can remember pulling at the fluffy bits for fun then realising I'd left a bald patch!! I was terrified mum would spot it. If she did, she never said anything!

    Have a fab week hon.
    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like Bella had a fantastic day! Your chocolate cake looks delicious and... every present is so nicely wrapped up and colour coordinated!

    The cushions are absolutely fantastic!

    I love it all!

    CIAO!

    ANNA
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy belated Birthday to Bella! I love the 17 presents wrapped so prettily, and the cake looks delicious.Your new cushion is lovely, so crisp and fresh.
    Have a happy Sunday, Gill.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you! Beautiful photos!
    I love the white cushion with the turquoise buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Gill

    Happy Birthday to Bella and what a memorable day she had. I love breakfast in bed and especially when there are presents to unwrap.

    Your cake looks delicious and I am amazed at your sewing skills, that cushion is adorable and the attention to detail with the beautiful turquoise buttons on the back.

    Have a glorious week
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Belated birthday wishes to your Bella! Smashing cake..and gorgeous bedcover.
    Hope you have a happy week. X

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the cheery photos - this is the wettest drought I have ever known! Your Bella and my Joe are the same age - we are on our 10th driving lesson, but they keep scheduling them at 10am weekends which is way to early for him!! xCathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x