Sunday 16 December 2012

Money for nothing, decs for free....

 
 
(With apologies to Dire Straits for the misquote)

Well, it ain't gonna win any prizes but 'tis made with mine own fair hands........and it cost nought as all the greenery came from the garden, and the cream velvet and gold ribbon cost about 10p years ago in a clearance sale after Xmas.

 
A Christmas swag as a change to a wreath

 

Eucalyptus from our 60' tree which bends over alarmingly in strong winds....
Some very prickly but lovely silvery green fir branches.....
Ivy...
Eunoymus
ans some lovely faded hydrangea heads.

Needless to say it is too "modern" for traditionalist Mr G...... (quote " I thought you were making a round wreath"..........)

 
But he likes the 3D stars.........

 
sat on the mantlepiece for the moment until I find a good place for them, or decorate the mantelpiece, whichever comes first.

 

If anyone would like to know how to make these 3D five-pointed stars I have prepared a pictorial tutorial here.


 

 
what's this??????

 
I did part up with a little hard cash for some lovely Yankee Candle Christmas Tree scented melts.... at the time of purchasing three of these I assumed they were little candles with wicks, but when we unwrapped them they were wick-free. The instructions didnt help at all as you couldnt read them! Hubby tried setting light to them thinking maybe they just burned without a wick, but daughter just scoffed at us and trotted off to do a little research.

On checking their website Bella found out that you place them in the top of a little burner and light a tea light underneath - luckily we have one of those burners, but I just like the scent and so have just put them in a jam jar.

 
And I also paid good money for this lovely pink Poinsettia......

 
the red ones seemed to be a very dark, gloomy red rather than the usual cheery bright red I buy so I opted for a pretty pink one instead.
Dumped in pot for now, but will wrap some hessian around it .

 

 
I still have a lot of decking the halls with boughs of holly to do, but have been slowed down by a nasty cold which has somewhat sapped my energy and enthusiasm.

Will just have to snuggle up under the blanket again with a good book, the dog on my lap, a cup of Earl Grey and some stollen - oh woe is me ;)

 
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. Love your door decoration - beautiful and festive. Hope you feel better soon.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Christmas swag, so pretty and unique. I have a thing for Yankee Candles and wax tarts, they do such gorgeous fragrances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done to you Gill. Love your swag and your pretty stars. I am to find some sheet music tomorrow as well :-)!

    Happy new week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant decs Gill, the stars are amazing and the swag is just gorgeous!
    Ah I can tell we're of the same vintage Gill, I loved Dire Straits too. ;)
    V xxx
    P.S. Hope you got my email, we heart the hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the swag also....home made is always so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Gil

    Despite being under the weather you have been very productive and I love your wreath. Those stars as so clever
    Hope you feel better soon

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read your reply. Thank you for the tip Gill!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great have a wonderful Christmas !
    Livx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Christmas door swag.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got some beautiful Christmas cheer into your lovely home. Your front door is stunning! I also made a swag for the front door.

    We are still reeling from the tragedy in Connecticut in the states. Tomorrow my job is to make sure my students feel safe, learning will be secondary.

    Happy Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Gill..Thank you so much for stopping by "Seaview cottage"... and for becoming a follower!! I am so grateful everyone who follows and comments!!
    Your Site is Wonderful!!! Your style is just my cup of tea...I look forward to following you!
    Happy Christmas !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your cold doesn't linger and you soon feel better.
    Love the swag, hydrangea heads are so pretty.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a gorgeous swag (I have trouble with that word, I blame Allan Ahlberg's Burglar Bill and his swag bag!).

    And your poinsettia is so pretty :D

    Feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x